Not too sweet, but very creamy, this is yum with fresh fruit, pancakes, or just a spoon.
This recipe is slightly tweaked from “The Liver Cleansing Diet”, written by Dr Sandra Cabot back in 1996. I didn’t follow this diet, but I liked some of the recipes. This one is a favourite.
- 2 cups raw cashews and/or blanched almonds (ideally but not essentially, soaked overnight in the fridge in water)
- juice of one orange
- enough water to cover the cashews when added to the blender with the orange juice
- 1 green apple, peeled, cored and chopped
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- (optional, as I don’t think it needs any sweetening) 2 tbsp honey, agave nectar, coconut nectar, or maple syrup
- Drain the nuts, if you soaked them
- Put everything into the blender (I use my Vitamix) and whizz until it’s smooth and silky-creamy with no graininess (you may need to adjust the amount of liquid to get the consistency you like)
- Keep in the refrigerator, the cream will thicken as it cools and will keep for about 3 or 4 days